First time fdisk - help needed

On my new drive I have used fdisk to create one primary partition and one
extended partition containing a small swap and a large data partition.  I
then asked for verify, and was told that there are 5289 unallocated sectors.

I accepted the default top limit for the large extended partition, so how did
I end up with unallocated sectors?  Can they not be used?

Anne