Nvidia and Fedora 3-5

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 15:27:56 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Hi! I have been using Fedora since core 1, and since core 3, nvidia
> has always caused a problem. I always have to jump through hoops to
> get it to work. How come? On SuSE 9-10 Nvidia has never caused a
> problem. It doesn't complain that the kernel module can't be built or
> something weird like that. I was able to get it to work with core 5,
> but I had to get a new kernel, recompile an rpm, and install a
> boot-script (found out how on fedoraforums.org)!! What is up with that?
> -Steven

The kernel at time of release for FC5 wasn't compatible with the nvidia
or ati binary drivers, since they're closed source it wasn't a release
blocker in the dev team's opinion, however a kernel should be released
shortly that won't have this problem. Once this is done, simply install
the kernel module / driver provided by livna, and you're done, much
simpler than fiddling around with the binary installer from nvidia.
-Dan