FC5: gnome-pilot AND pilot-link broken (worse than FC4!)

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Mar 24 16:13:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-23-03 at 20:15 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 09:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > Sadly enough, somehow, I get the feeling that the same bugs will be
> > > reported when FC6 is released... yep, we are doomed.
> > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-March/msg01378.html
> > >
> > ----
> > I have generally used a methodology which we have covered in the
> > archives of this list (and in bugzilla) to make it work...manually make
> > a device node in /tmp owned by the user, symlinked to /dev/ttyUSB1 and
> > ignoring udev - as I seemed to have timing problems with udev. Then I
> > make sure that I can talk to it with pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/MY_NODE
> >
> > once that is working, I have to make sure that the device is actually
> > listed in the devices.xml file for gnome-pilotd since I use a Treo 650
> > which hasn't been included normally.
> >
> > This got me through FC-3 and FC-4 and one of these days, I'm gonna wipe
> > out everything and install FC-5 and see what happens.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> I did the same in FC4, creating a ttyUSB? in /etc/dev.
> However, it doesn't seem to work in FC5.
>
> Gilboa
I just installed FC5 last night, I have never been able to get
my Zire 72 to work since FC1. Last night when I tried the soft
link from /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyUSB0 was automaticaly set up.
I did not tinker at all before testing it. It still did not
sync using gnome-pilot, and pilotd kept crashing or kept
caused my PDA to crash. I don't have anything important on my
PDA, I had a problem on the Windows machine where the backup
for the PDA was corrupted, and my young nephew found my PDA
in my truck and after multiple attempts to get into it, the
security profile erased all the data on the PDA, so I lost
everything... freaking Windows.

Maybe some day this stuff will work. :^(