PPC/FC5 Boot problem

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 23:06:01 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, Adam H. Pendleton <fmonkey at fmonkey.net> wrote:
> Using /dev/hda
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0kB - 60GB
> Disk label type: msdos
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
> 1       32kB    8225kB  8193kB  primary  hfs          boot
> 2       8225kB  115MB   107MB   primary  ext3
> 3       115MB   60GB    60GB    primary               lvm

I, personally, have repeatedly run into this issue.  The correct step
is to boot an Apple recover CD and correctly format the drive with a
proper "blessed" Apple disc label (which should show up in /dev/hda1)

Then, during the FC5 install, manually create your partitions to look like this:
(Warning: *Do Not* mess with or change hda1!!!)

/dev/hda2 100MB /boot ext2 (must be hda2 and must be ext2)
/dev/hda3 (2x RAM) swap
/dev/hda4 / (the rest of the drive space.)

I have not been able to get any other layout to work.

HTH/Bill
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/