bittorrent slow

Stephen Mirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 24 22:15:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-22-03 at 09:59 -0800, Stephen Mirowski wrote:

> >     I understand that
> >     one of the features of DOCSIS 2.0 is an increase in the available
> >     upload bandwidth, but I don't know of any cable HSI providers who
> >     have yet done the major upgrade of their systems needed to support
> >     that.
> >
> > Shaw Cable in Canada provides Extreme Internet in a few of the major
> > cities using Docsis modems.  This increases downloads by approx 2MB/s
> > and increases the uploads a tad I believe.  Maybe when I get a job,
> > I'll get it, first month is free!!
> >
> > I have bad luck w/ Bittorrent.  My friends seem to do okay.  I got
> > good speeds on Quake4 demo, but nothing else.  I'll seed this FC5
> > 386 DVD to help out others out.  I have my uploads set to OC3 speeds
> > but am only uploading at 20KB/s?  I can do 45-50 KB/s on ftp and ssh2
> > transfers.  Any idea of how to improve speeds for uploading?
> >
> > Stephen

    NOTE: They now monitor BW and if you show up on their list they will
    warn you a few times then shut your connection down, until you promise
    to play nice. I have a friend who just found out the hard way, that
    they use a 30 day running total for BW usage, not a monthly usage.
    So if you DL a ton of stuff to use up your "quota" before the end
    of the month, you will be shutdown if you try to DL significant
    traffic before your 30 days are up.

Back in 2000/1, I have had a friend who had that happened to him, but as
a Shaw customer
myself for 5 years I have never received a warning.  Not to mention, I
am not into illegal
downloading/uploading (movies, music, what not) so I am not even close
at breaching
my data transfer limit.  After I restarted bittorrent, I started getting
higher upload speeds.

Stephen