FC5: software install problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 25 01:09:48 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:30 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> My thought for a good interface would be for pirut to browse in media
>> looking for install media. If it finds local media under the /media
>> directory, it uses it by default. If no Install media found, it works
>> as yum would do and looks on the Internet for the packages within the
>> repos that you have setup.
>
> I've only briefly played with FC5, but would simply copying the install
> media RPM files into the appropriate YUM local cache directories avoid
> using an internet source unless updates were needed?  I've done this
> with prior versions.

I had to do this for one installation because it would not update from
the media even after I setup the local.repo file which pointed to the
location where the dvd was mounted. I had to designate space locally,
copy all of the RPM files over to my new local repository, install
createrepo which was not installed on the system and then run createrepo
rpms on the directory that I created, createrepo rpms/updates for the
updates directory where I download the newer released packages to and
the like. Pup still bombs when facing large upgrades, so using yum was
needed to overcome the python error.

I was able to use the repo off of the dvd during test 3 on two different
systems to upgrade releases. I might have set up something incorrect of
it was just that the repodata or another structure changed from FC5T3
and the final release.

Regardless, if one puts in the installation dvd or cdrom, an application
should be able to launch itself, ask if you want to install from the
local media or check for newer versions online. I think sort of update
will hit FC5 soon.

Jim