will hde be hd1 in grub.conf?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Sat Mar 25 04:33:29 UTC 2006

     One other question. I am unclear on the following issue. If you have
two drives with the grub setup being on the first drive (hda)  and with a
a grub.conf on the first drive starting with...

fallback 1

title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp) boot from hda using md2
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp) boot from hde using md2
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp.img

...does the 'root (hd0,0)' in the first grub entry just provide grub
with the drive to get the /boot directory from? Or does it also tell
any additional commands where to get things like /dev/md2 from?
     I ask because I am trying to boot a machine with normal partitions
(and their usage in /etc/fstab) on the first (hda) drive and md partitions
(copied with tar from the first drive) on the second drive. The RAID1
conversion protocols I have seen suggested that I could use the above
grub entries to have the grub installed on the first drive boot the md
partitions on the second. However it appears that the fallback may not
have occured. I am wondering if for md partitions, the 'root (hd0,0)'
might confuse the boot process with the md partitions being looked for
off of the same drive (hda) that the /boot parition was gotten from.
That part of the RAID1 conversion writeup was unclear.
                  Jack