worth upgrading/ installing?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 25 17:04:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 18:50 +0200, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> My personal experience is:
>
> 1) I upgraded my working FC4 to FC5 from the DVD. It took
> a very long time. The resulting system didn't work.
> (Random freezes in X, various random crashes, even in yum!).
----
while this might work for some, it should work, it may not work and it
likely is affected by things that are installed that didn't come from
fedora core
----

> 2) I formated the partition, and installed FC5 from scratch.
> The result is again a non-working system. Crashes do not
> happen any more, but the system randomly locks under X.
> If you don't want a desktop, you are fine :-)
----
It's not as if you have given us anything to go on except for a
reference to using GUI login as root which is not recommended.

There are logs you can check for clues...

/var/log/messages
dmesg
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

but if you want to generalize on your experiences, go right ahead.
----

> And all these, on a (previously) working FC4 system.
> No, I thnk it was foolish to upgrade. I suggest you to
> wait untill all these issues are solved.
----
obviously most people are not having the same issues so it would be
likely that it has something to do with your hardware or possibly
something you are doing in configuration that is causing issues.

Waiting for the initial issues to be resolved is never a bad idea
though.
----

> Also, it would be good if anybody can suggest me on how
> to get help on this, as I don't have a worning linux box any more.
> Where should I look? How to find out why my kernel locks?
----
I would start with the above logs

Craig