First time fdisk - help needed

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Mar 25 19:23:04 UTC 2006

Greetings Anne ,
Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 24 March 2006 21:46, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
>
>>On 3/24/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I accepted the default top limit for the large extended partition, so how
>>>did I end up with unallocated sectors?  Can they not be used?
>>
>>Yes, and no, it depends upon the "wiggle room" of the drive, the bios, etc.
>>
>>Try the same procedure but use "parted" -- you will get better results.
>>

> I found the explanation here:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/faqs/linux_faq_AEN3379
> <quote>
> Ignore the message about unallocated sectors. They refer to the sectors on the
> first track apart from the Master Boot Record, and they are not used if you
> start the first partition in track 2.
> </quote>

I have a question though , how do you determine whether the partition
started
from track 1 or track 2 . Does it describe how to actually start a
partition from
track 1 and not track 2 so there will be no unallocated sectors ?
All i know is that you can ask fdisk to start a partition from cylinder
1 and that's
as far as it goes .

> Anne

Kind Regards,