FC5 another sound strangeness

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 19:24:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 15:30, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> Currently if I enable system sounds the totem when it starts sys that
> sound is being used by another application. So the only way I can get
> totem to play a CD is to disable system sounds.
>
> Is this a known problem or is it bugzilla time?

Are you using kde, Aaron?  If so, there are a couple of things that I have
found in the past to help with this problem.  First, kcontrol > sound &
multimedia > sound system > General > Autosuspend if idle - my FC4 had set
that to something like 5 seconds.  Drop it to 1 second.

If that still doesn't do the trick, install kickarts.  You can
start/stop/suspend arts from a try icon.

Anne