FC4->5 upgrade httpd (apache) problem - solved

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sat Mar 25 19:43:08 UTC 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 25.03.2006 schrieb Don Russell um 20:06:
>

>> Sure enough, there was a httpd.conf.rpmnew file. I checked to see if
>> there were any changes in httpd.conf that I needed to carry over, and
>> no, I hadn't made any changes.
>>

> If you customized the default httpd.conf from FC4 in no way, then you
> can use the httpd.conf from FC5 the same way. No custom settings would
> have to be transferred.
>

>> I renamed the httpd.conf file as httpd.conf-old-fc4
>> then renamed httpd.conf.rpmnew as httpd.conf
>>
>> Trying to start httpd resulted in the same error:
>>
>> [root at boris conf]# service httpd start
>> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 147 of
>> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so
>> into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so: cannot open shared object
>> file: No such file or directory
>>                                                            [FAILED]
>>

> That can't be with the httpd.conf shipping with Apache2 2.2.0-5.12 from
> FC5.
>

>> Since that solve anything, I renamed the fies back the way they were.
>>
>> I don't have a lot of stuff on the web server... I'm thinking of just
>> backing up my individual pages and cgi scripts, removing httpd
>> altogether and then 'yum install httpd'.
>>
>> But that seems extreme... the only thing wrong seems to be this
>> mod_access.so file can't be found? hmmm, so what happened to it? It's
>> referred to in both (fc4/5) httpd.conf files...
>>
>> Don
>>

> You would have looked closer. mod_access isn't an Apache2 2.2 module,
> while it was in Apache2 2.0. Please read the page Paul mentioned:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/upgrading.html
>    mod_access has been renamed to mod_authz_host
>
> Alexander

Yes, I was just reading that information, and went back to the directory
that has the httpd.conf file...

I noticed that the two files I compared both had comments at the top
referring me to ... doc.2.0 ...  on further inspection of the directory
contents, there was also a httpd.conf.bak file... THAT one had a comment
referring to 2.2... Inspection of THAT file showed the "greatly
simplified" config file...

I renamed httpd.conf.bak to httpd.conf and all is well.

Thanks for the tips.. :-)

Don