dhcpd won't start in FC5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 25 22:49:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 16:29 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> Apologies in advance if this is a double-post. I'm working off a
> new machine and my mail settings seemed to off, so I'm resending.
>
> I've got it set to start at boot, but if always fails. Starting
> from the CLI also gives me a "failed" result, with no clues.
> System logs yield no clues, just "failed" messages. Have checked
> and rechecked dhcpd.conf and nothing jumps out. I've read through
> the documentation in /usr/share/doc/dhcp* and played with the
> sample config file, there. Google hasn't yielded much. Tried
> "setenforce=0" but no cigar...
>
> Anyone see something I've missed, or have a suggestion?
----
I find it real hard to believe that /var/log/messages wouldn't log the
problem - perhaps you haven't been able to interpret what it's saying.

if you look at /etc/init.d/dhcpd - you would get some clues on how the
daemon is started so you could do it from a terminal whereby you would
get feedback directly in your terminal and then you wouldn't have to
worry about logging at all.

/sbin/service/dhcpd stop
/usr/sbin/dhcpd -t

if the following is all you get, you are probably good to go...
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

if not...fix it.

Craig