FC5 install via sftp -

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Mar 26 13:06:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 17:11 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> This computer runs FC4 and has a dvd reader.  The computer
> I want to install FC5 on does not.
>
> I do routinely transfer files between them via sftp and an
> ethernet connection.
>
> How can I install FC5 without physically removing the cd/dvd drive
> from this computer and installing it in the "target?" The target computer
> runs FC4 and has only one 80G drive all of which is allocated for Linux.

Don't know if you can do it via sftp, but you can do it via ftp, http,
nfs, by way of network install.  You would obviously need to setup your
one computer with the ISO's, or make an install dir of each individual
rpms and then use that as the base of the install.

Does the computer that will have FC5 installed on have a cd-reader?  You
can burn the boot.iso image or cd #1 of FC5 and boot off it, using linux
askmethod at teh boot prompt.

There are other ways I guess as well depending on what you can/want to
do.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"