Documents in 2 homes via NFS

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 26 16:41:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 15:56 +0200, Thomas Widhalm wrote:

> I have to Linux Distributions on clients within my network. It SuSE
> 10.0 and Fedore Core 5. Some users switch from one to another. I
> mount /home from a nfs- server and have nis enabled. As it is no good
> to mount the same home into two differen distributions I made
> a /home/fc5 directory within the nfs- server and make seperat homes
> for the fc5 users in there and mount it as /home on fc5.
>
> What I need is the directory /home/Documents within the /home/user and
> /home/fc5/user to be in sync. There are few enough users to make a
> solution by hand. I tried a symlink, but unfortunately the clients
> can't follow, because the target isn't mounted on fc5 clients anyway.
> (link was /home/user/Documents to /home/fc5/user/Documents) And I
> can't hardlink a directory.

I would have done things something like this:

A server with susehomes and fchomes exported, for the various system
dependent things that sit in the homespaces.  Then also exported a
separate userhomes for them to put their data in.

Then the users would mount either the suse or fc homespace as required,
which would have the userhomes space mounted into that for their own
data.

e.g. ls -l /
     lrwxrwxrwx   1 tim tim     14 Mar 27 00:23 home -> /mnt/server/fchomes

     ls -l /home/tim
     lrwxrwxrwx   1 tim tim     14 Mar 27 00:23 data -> /mnt/server/userhomes/tim

I read messages from the public lists.