Do I Really Want Beagle??

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Mar 26 19:40:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, David Cary Hart wrote:

> Life was fine without it. Is there something I am missing or is the
> bloat more than the benefit?

Some people are easy to please.  If you have to ask, what you want is
better hardware so beagle doesn't slow things down.

Beagle is a system that indexes the contents of your files.  Most people
find it hard to track down the email that addressed a particular issue
after a certain amount of time has passed, and we all end up with far more
documentation than we have time to read, so without effective search
tools, you can't hope to tap more than a tiny fraction of the information
on your disks.  Over the years there have been many such systems.  Beagle
is considered to be one of the best and has support for many current file
formats that older tools don't support.

I just read a report in one of the glossy trade magazines.  Seems a
usability test was done for a linux desktop configuration with Beagle.
The users didn't try Beagle "because seaching doesn't work in Windows so
how could it work on linux!".  After revising the tests to require use of
Beagle, users found they like it.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>