Firefox 1.5 issues

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Mon Mar 27 00:16:40 UTC 2006

Motor wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:26:53 +0200, Boris Glawe wrote:
>

>> I can confirm, that firefox hangs for seconds while it locks up the
>> whole gnome desktop when visiting some pages. This is a strange thing,
>> that I've never experienced before in older FC Versions.
>>
>> It's not crashing though. Except the high CPU usage it does what it's
>> excpected to do.
>>

> Try:
>
> $ MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 /usr/bin/firefox
>
> It seems to have cured the problem for me. I was hoping for a faster Pango
> myself, but FC5 seems to be a major step back in that regard. I don't know
> whether it's the change to using Cairo... but the much-talked about
> performance improvements in GNOME seem to have been thrown away.

Could Pango have anything to do with the random but consistent freezes
that I was experiencing with 64-bit firefox?  I say random but
consistent because I could not come up with a sequence of reproducible
steps but it was fairly consistent that after a few minutes of browsing,
firefox would freeze on me.  I finally gave up and replaced the 64-bit
firefox with the 32-bit firefox.  I haven't had any problems since.

Dan.