mount another disk

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Mon Mar 27 03:16:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 12:22 +0100, LarryT wrote:
> the Syntax is :
>
> /dev/hdd1 /media/echange vfat auto,users,umask=0 0 0
>
> but you will not have any icon on the desktop :( This is a VERY bad
> thing with fc5 !
> After this, you can make this to have a kind of icon :
> ln -s /media/exchange /home/username/Desktop/exchange
> WHERE : username is the name of the desktop's user you want.
> Then you will have a shortcut on your desktop !
> But this is one of the problem with fc5 !!
>
> Larry
> "Computers are like air conditioners - They stop working properly when
> you open Windows !"
>

> Eric Tanguy wrote:
> > I would like to mount a vfat disk at bootup :
> > i had a rep in /media : echange
> > i had this line in /etc/fstab :
> > /dev/hdd1 /media/echange auto defaults 0 0
> > but the disk is not rw for user and i would like to see it in "computer"
> > and on desktop.
> > Eric

I duel boot w/win98

After reading this I set it up, and it worked :-) Thanks very much!

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd/ vfat auto,users,umask=0 0 0

I opened /mnt and dragged the hd folder to the desktop and told it to
link to it.  Renamed the folder win98-hd on the desktop, I can read and
write to it. I'm using KDE.  Thanks for the info/help!

Tim...