FC4 dynamic DNS issue

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 27 04:55:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 11:25 -0800, Noah wrote:
> here is the error message that comes up in the my /var/log/messages
> when I restart dhclient.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Mar 26 11:16:17 protect1  dhclient: Can't update forward map
> protect1.domain.com. to IP.GAR.BLE.D: no such RRset
>
> --- snip ---

My DHCP and DNS configuration shares a common /etc/rndc.key file for
authentication (their configuration files "include" it).

My DHCPD configuration file is "authoritative", uses the interim
ddns-update-style, has ddns-updates on, specifically mentions the zone
file to be updated, what IP address the DNS server can be found at, and
mentions the key involved for authentication.  Configuration options
specific to this copied below:

authoritative;
allow                   client-updates;
include                 "/etc/rndc.key";
ddns-update-style       interim;
ddns-updates            on;

zone  1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
  primary 192.168.1.2;
  key rndckey;
}

zone example.com. {
  primary 192.168.1.2;
  key rndckey;
}

My named.conf file allows the local network to update (some of) the DNS
records.  Configuration options specific to this copied below:

include "/etc/rndc.key";

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

acl lan {
        192.168/16;
        127.0.0.1;
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file  "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
        allow-update { key "rndckey"; };
        allow-transfer { lan; };
        notify yes;
};

zone "example.com" {
        type master;
        file  "example.com.zone";
        allow-update { key "rndckey"; };
        allow-transfer { lan; };
        notify yes;
};

Beyond this, Google for further information on local DNS serving using
BIND and DHCP on Fedora.  i.e. Include the keywords for all you're doing
in the search, trying to come up with a likely title for a document that
someone might have written about how to do it.

I read messages from the public lists.