Australian timezone oddity between two similarly configured FC4 boxes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 27 06:17:57 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> And I've just manually replaced /etc/localtime with a copy of the
>> Adelaide file from /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/, and my PC is now
>> serving time correctly (without the stripey suit with arrows on it).

Steffen Kluge:
> The tzdata post-install script should have done that for you. The
> necessary information (default time zone) is in /etc/sysconfig/clock.

Yes, I'd checked that file, too.  It had the same information in both
PCs.

> A quick glance at the initscripts seems to indicate that /etc/localtime
> never ever gets changed once written by the OS installer, or when you
> change the default time zone. I wonder what you did to the PC that
> didn't have the problem. Did you change the time zone setting on it
> after 7-Sep-2005, causing a correct zone file to be copied
> over /etc/localtime?

No, they've both been set up with the right timezone since the
beginning, and that's before September 7th.  About the only difference I
can see, and haven't tested yet, is that the well-behaving PC has
permissive SELinux settings and the one that stuffed it has enforcing.
Perhaps it was preventing a change during the tzdata update?

I read messages from the public lists.