[Java] Development Kit Issues

Ali Helmy alihelmy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 11:58:34 UTC 2006

The fedora solved project talks about how to make the JRE the default run
time environment... I already did that, by replacing the link for the java
command in gcj by a link to the java command in the jdk folder...

However, that isn't my problem... my problem is that the JDK jar program,
creates MANIFEST files usinf gcc... i don't know how the jar program does
that, and i dont know which file is used to create MANIFEST files... i think
it is an old link in the /usr/bin directory or some other old link that i
have to replace from pointing at the gcc folder to the jdk folder...

Anyone know what files, libs or programs jar uses to create jar files?

On 27/03/06, Kazimieras Vaina <kazimieras.vaina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is also /usr/sbin/alternatives command to solve Sun jdk and gcj
> conflicts.
> At http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/sun-java-installation
> You may find some hints how to use the alternatives command.
>
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 20:26 -0500, Dan wrote:
> > Ali Helmy wrote:
> > > Hey mate,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the information... i tried your suggestion about the
> > > BufferedReader and it worked... however:
> > >
> > > Possibly there's still some gcj toolset stuff left. If you want to
> > > solve this clean, check out the jpackage.org <http://jpackage.org/>
> > > site and download the rpm building package. It allows you to create an
> > > rpm file for the jdk which is compatible with "alternatives". This
> > > way, you can switch the system JRE between gcj and the Sun JDK (and
> > > others).
> > >
> > > umm, can you provide more detailed info?
> > >
> > > On 26/03/06, *Klaasjan Brand* < klaasjan at gmail.com
> > > <mailto:klaasjan at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >

> > >     On 3/26/06, *Ali Helmy* < alihelmy at gmail.com
> > >     <mailto:alihelmy at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >         Hey mates,
> > >
> > >         I need to inquire about two issues in particular regarding
> > >         JDK... Firstly, so that you can understand my background:
> > >
> > >         - I'm running FedoraCore 5
> > >         - In the FC installation, I installed the regular Java
> > >         Development libs & tools (such as eclipse, gcj, ...etc)
> > >         - I downloaded and installed the JDK1.5 and the JVM from Sun
> > >         Microsystems, Inc.
> > >         - I removed all the java related bins in the /usr/bin folder,
> > >         then recreated the links to the new bins in the
> > >         /usr/java/jdk1.4.0/bin library to make the javac, java, jar,
> > >         javah... etc commands use the new JDK
> > >

> > >         Now here's my problems:
> > >
> > >         A) When i create a jar file (ex: jar -cf Anyfile.jar
> > >         Anyclass.class), the manifest file created with it
> > >         (META-INF/MANIFEST) lists:
> > >         Manifest-Version: 1.0
> > >         Created-By: 0.92-gcc
> > >         where you see, that my problem is that the manifest file was
> > >         created by "gcc" apparently, and not 1.5.0_01 (Sun
> > >         Microsystems Inc.) which should have been the case... so, how
> > >         can i change the manifest file maker?
> > >

> > >     Possibly there's still some gcj toolset stuff left. If you want to
> > >     solve this clean, check out the jpackage.org <http://jpackage.org>
> > >     site and download the rpm building package. It allows you to
> > >     create an rpm file for the jdk which is compatible with
> > >     "alternatives". This way, you can switch the system JRE between
> > >     gcj and the Sun JDK (and others).
> > >

> > >         And the Note I Get after compiling with (javac
> > >         -Xlint:deprecation ...etc):
> > >         [ahelmy at Laptop Java]$ javac -Xlint:deprecation
> > >         ReadingFromConsole.java
> > >         ReadingFromConsole.java:12: warning: [deprecation] readLine()
> > >         in java.io.DataInputStream has been deprecated
> > >                                 UsrInput = IStream.readLine();
> > >
> > >         So, does anyone know a replacement to read directly a line of
> [...]

A. Helmy