FC5 - good when installed, difficult to install

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 27 13:41:50 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:

>> How exactly does one use the boot.iso image?
>> Can one use that to install, or only to upgrade?

> You can upgrade or do a fresh installation. I have done both with the
> development tree.
>
> 1) Download the boot.iso file from the mirror you intend to use.
> 2) Burn the boot.iso file to a RW disc preferably. The image changes
> periodically. (At least for development)
> 3) Write down the ftp or http destination that you intent to use.
> 4) Start the installer and choose either ftp or http
> 5) Enter the site name like ftp.mymirror.com in the first screen
> 6) Enter the path on the mirror like /pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os
> 7) Installer starts to download the stage 2 portion
> 8) Installer gets to a point just as you are installing off local media.

Thanks very much.
I'll try that on an AMD64 machine soon.

I have actually used boot.iso in the past,
but only by copying the files to /boot (after "mount -o loop ...")
and changing grub.
It didn't occur to me to burn boot.iso onto a CD ...

> There may be a document somewhere. I do not know of one though.

Something like "6 ways to install Fedora" would be very useful, I think ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366