more problems migrating to RAID1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Mon Mar 27 19:10:17 UTC 2006

Les,
   I finally gave up on the migration. I could never get the linux
rescue cd to recognize the newly created md partitions with the linux
files copied over to them. Interestingly if I changed the Id for the
partitions from fd back to 83 and reverted the changes to the /etc/fstab
on the md root partition, the linux rescue cd would see both drives as
having Linux installations. Also, when still set up for md partitions
I always found that when booted from the linux rescue cd that the
md partitions would always fail to mount with an 'Input/output error'
message. I always had to execute...

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/hde1

...etc for each md devices. I would then get a warning about this
device already existing. I would continue to create it with a 'y'
at the prompt after which the md device was available for mounting.
However these devices didn't seem to survive a reboot back into the
linux rescue cd. I would always get the same 'Input/output error'
and have to recreate them with mdadm. I believe I saw the same
behavior from the time I initially created them while booted from
the hda drive. Weird.
             Jack
ps I tried a variety of things including creating a raidtab and a
mdadm.conf in /etc. Neither helped the linux rescue cd recognize
the md partitions as a linux installation or allowed the md
partitions to be mounted without recreating them in mdadm first.