Re: Newbie

Here's some stuff on travan tape drives.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ftape-HOWTO.html

also good

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Mount

HTH
Marc

On 3/27/06, Mike McCarty < Mike McCarty sbcglobal net> wrote:
Thomas Allen wrote:
> Hi all. I am a newbie to Linux and Fedora....I am trying to get a tape
> drive (travan) to work on fedora Core 5. When I type the command "dmesg"
> I see that the drive is listed there and hdc as the device name...but it
> does not show up under drives's...do I need to mount this? and how would
> I do that? Thanks for the help!

Are you trying to use it as a destination for tar? I wasn't aware that
one usually mounted such devices. What kind of file system do you
intend to put on the tape? One mounts file systems, not devices.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.