What's wrong with the kernel?

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 27 20:18:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:48:58 -0500 (EST)
tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> While strictly speaking, that entry answers the question, IF I read it
> correctly the details are a _little_ thin. Of course, the details I would
> like to know probably don't belong in that particular document.
>
> Specifically, my question would be "Why are the non-gpl'd kernel modules
> not supported in the release kernels?" and "Is there a semi-simple
> work-around available?"

Because a kernel symbol was changed from a regular export to a GPL export
becoming unavailable for linking by proprietary modules.   This change
has been reverted, you can grab the new kernel from updates-testing.

> Since my video cards are NVidea based, I'll wait until I can use the
> non-gpl'd modules before investigating FC5 for my own use.

The open source nv driver is worth trying.

> I suspect that such details may be found over on the developement list,
> and I may get enough ambition to go look for myself. OTOH, if somebody has
> a summary or a direct pointer, I sure would be obliged.

Most discussion happened on the testers list:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-March/msg00965.html

See the reply from Dave Jones.

Sean