FC5: gnome-pilot AND pilot-link broken (worse than FC4!)

Brian Mury brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca
Mon Mar 27 20:24:18 UTC 2006

I haven't seen any replies to my original post that dealt with the new
bug of the machine hanging when trying to sync my Palm (message below
for reference), but I've played with it a bit more and characterized the
behaviour a little better.

When pressing the hotsync button on the cradle, /dev/ttyUSB0
and /dev/ttyUSB1 are created, and /dev/pilot is created as a soft link
to /dev/ttyUSB1 (BTW, shouldn't that be /dev/ttyUSB0?). The hang happens
when the palm exits sync mode - either when completing communications
with the computer, or by timing out, or by cancelling the sync (via the
cancel button on the Palm's display).

I don't know if this is a problem with udev, or a problem with the
kernel, or a problem with something else, so I'm not sure what to file a
bug against. Any suggestions?

And again, any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Even narrowing it down
to which component is at fault would be nice. It's obviously difficult
to troubleshoot a problem that completely hangs the machine.