Fedora Core 5 for AMD64 and Browser Plugins

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Mon Mar 27 21:52:30 UTC 2006

Malcolm Candlish wrote:

> Sirs,
>
> While getting Fedora Core 5 x86 I believe I can work with all browser
> plugins. However, if I get the AMD64 version which is compatable with
> my PC, I understand that it is necessary to do a work around.
>
> Can anyone direct me to instructions for this or explain.
>
> With thanks in advance,
> Malcolm Candlish.

You can use nspluginwrapper to use 32-bit plugins with firefox.x86_64.

http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:nspluginwrapper

I would suggest installing all your plugins first and then installing
nspluginwrapper as nspluginwrapper will automatically register all
installed plugins when nspluginwrapper is itself installed.  I ran into
some problems trying to register new plugins after the fact.

Having said that, I would suggest forgoing firefox.x86_64 altogether.  I
had random but frequent lockups with firefox.x86_64 which made firefox
pretty much unusable.  Even worse, firefox would often not exit cleanly
when I quit, leaving a process running in the background.  I would only
find out that had happened when trying to launch a new instance
whereupon I would get a message box popup informing me that firefox was
already running.

I have since switched to firefox.i386 and have been problem-free ever since.

A thought just occured to me.  I am using a dual core Athlon 64.  I
wonder if firefox is having some SMP problems?

Dan.