fc5: install everything?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Mon Mar 27 22:16:47 UTC 2006

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 13:06:24 -0800,
>   "K. Richard Pixley" <rich at noir.com> wrote:
>
>> fc5 installer has me confused and stumped.  Could someone please tell me
>> where to find the "install everything" option?
>>
> That feature was dropped.
> You can do select all by right clicking, but you have to be at least one
> level down to do this.
> This won't actually install all of the rpms, but may be good enough for you.

Bah.  Thanks.

What's the rationale here?  And what's the new procedure?

I mean, one of the reasons I use a full distribution like fedora is that
I don't want to run around with cd's all the time.  I want everything
available on my development machine immediately and I'm perfectly fine
with spending a measly 6-20gig to hold it.  Those extra gigabytes are
much cheaper than my every needing to hunt down cd's so that I can
(re)install some obscure tidbit that I might suddenly need in 6 months.
Or worse, doing it every 10 minutes for the first few weeks of using the
installation.

I can understand wanting a minimal install for an installation for an
embedded or vertical app, but that's no reason to eliminate the fat
install.  Surely there must be an alternative.

--rich