Re: Gmail Thunderbird Configuration

On 28Mar2006 00:32, Ali Helmy <alihelmy gmail com> wrote:
| Well, I did both of these and still, no green light...
| any other suggestions NOT mentioned in the walk-through?

1: Don't top post.
2: Test connectivity directly:

	telnet pop.gmail.com 995

That will test two things: DNS resolves pop.gmail.com (telnet
should recite the IP address to you) and test the connection.

Like this:

  [~]zoob*> telnet pop.gmail.com 995
  Trying 64.233.163.109...
  Connected to pop.gmail.com (64.233.163.109).
  Escape character is '^]'.
  ^]
  telnet> quit
  Connection closed.

If you get the "Connected to ..." message you are ok to reach gmail;
your problems are with your login most likely.  If the connection
times out you have a network issue, for example a firewall.
If the "Trying ..." message doesn't occur, DNS is not working.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs zip com au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

hybrid rather than pure; compromising rather than clean;
distorted rather than straightforward; ambiguous rather than
articulated; both-and rather than either-or; the difficult
unity of inclusion rather than the easy unity of exclusion.
        - Paul Barton-Davis <pauld cs washington edu>