Re: Deleting a directory

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 27Mar2006 11:55, Danny Ciarniello <Dan_Ciarniello telus net> wrote:
| rm -rf <directoryname>
| | -r : recurse
| -f : force
| | Be careful!

You know that "-f" and "be careful" are opposing actions?
Skip the -f and proceed. Oh, and unalias "rm"; RH systems ship
with an alias to always supply a -i option to "rm", and that
in turn promotes this dangerous overuse of the -f option.

And for those people that don't use "-f", it promotes a tendency to just amswer "y" when prompted if they really want to delete a file, without actually looking carefully at the question being asked. Hence I'm in the habit of turning off the "rm -i" alias wherever I see it, as it's often counterproductive.

Paul.