My GUI died

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 28 02:03:50 UTC 2006

Jim Douglas wrote:
> I had to reboot and now my GUI won't start up so I can't login.
>
> How can I step thur the re-boot to see what might be the problem.  I did
> make a change to the profile config.
>

> FC 4.
>
> Jim

During grub loading, remove rhgb and append a space followed by a 3 to
boot into runlevel 3. You can log one terminal in as root and a couple
other terminals in as regular users. try to start the GUI with the
startx command in your account that does not start. If it fails, try to
log in as your other regular user using startx. If both fail, run
system-config-display from the root terminal. If it fails, add
--reconfig to the s-c-display command and try again.

I don't know what the profile config is. I hope this gives you a clue as
to how to get the GUI working again.

Jim