VI editor in Gnome Terminal leaves text remnants on scroll

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Tue Mar 28 08:05:47 UTC 2006

Around about 28/03/06 04:28, Khoa Ton typed ...
> That being the case /bin/vi is the more appropriate editor to use as root.
> Any hints as to how to workaround the text remnant problem with /bin/vi
> as root on Gnome Terminal?

   OK, firstly which versions of gnome-terminal and vim?

   Does this fail only for root, or is it for all users?

   Please try:

vi -U NONE -u NONE thefileinquestion

   .. and see if it still occurs.  This runs vim with no config. files which,
if it works, might indicate a funny setting somewhere as opposed to a code bug.

   FWIW, it doesn't fail for me as a normal user on FC3 with vim 6.4.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature