fedora.us doesn't work

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 09:30:15 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 06:51, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I'm just a little hesitant about putting linux 2.6 on something that
> > old. I tried mandrake 10.1 (kernel 2.6.8.1) a while ago and it was
> > SOOOOO slow!
>
> You think that's slow? Last weekend I upgraded my home file and print
> server to FC5. It's an AMD K6-200 with 128MB RAM...
>
> I don't run a GUI on it, mind.

I have FC4 on an AMD-700 laptop running kde.  With 128MB ram it was just about
usable if you stuck to one task at a time.  Double the ram, and it's fine
now.  I wouldn't push it too much, but I wouldn't mind having to use it for
straightforward work.  Even with 128MB ram I could play a DVD on it.

Anne