rebuilding X from failed FC4 -> FC5 upgrade

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Mar 28 15:02:10 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> I upgraded one of my machines to FC5 from 4 the other night and
>> everything went smoothly except on reboot.  Now X doesn't work.  It
>> appears that Xorg didn't completely install.  I've tried everything I
>> know, but can't get it completely uninstalled.  It tells me
>> xorg-x11-xdm is not installed, but when querying rpm I get the
>> correct version from FC5 (1.0.something).  Any ideas on how to
>> completely blow X away and re-install?
>>

> Probably the best way to correct the xorg problem is to use the
> install media if DVD and use rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs
> xorg-x11*.rpm which should install all xorg-x11 packages and overwrite
> the files previously installed.
>
> Two questions before you attempt to remove and replace X:
>
> - Did you try to start X in runlevel 3 using startx?
Yes I tried that and I got some odd error about xinit not being in the
environment vars? (I'm not at the system so I can't say for certain.)
It seems like there's not X server installed based on the error message.

> - Did you try to run system-config-display --reconfig in runlevel 3 as
> root to try to reconfigure X?
No, I didn't try this, but I certainly will when I get home.  Thanks for
the suggestions.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415