How can I allow screensaver unlocking by root?

Wouter.Lamee at nc3a.nato.int Wouter.Lamee at nc3a.nato.int
Tue Mar 28 15:41:32 UTC 2006

François, others

"If it is someone else ask him" - that's too easy to say. What if there are 20 or 30 (or more) other people who can log in on that system? I'd have to remember all their passwords. Basically, I want to be able to get on the machine with my root password without killing X servers, existing logins, running apps, etc.

Just like Solaris installations, where the root passwd can unlock any user's screen saver. If I am the root passwd owner, I want to be able to get on a machine without having to destroy parts of it.

I checked on FC3, and there the root passwd can still unlock the screen saver. Is there some kind of setting to get this behaviour back? Or do I have to get the v4.18 from FC3 and put it where FC4's v4.21 resides - assuming it'll work?

Any ideas, anybody?

wlamee