Sharing Thunderbird Mails Between Linux and Windows

Manish Kathuria manish at tuxspace.com
Tue Mar 28 16:02:16 UTC 2006

In order to make the same set of emails accessible on both Windows XP
Home and Fedora Core on my dual boot laptop, I have created a separate
FAT32 partition which I use just for storing the Thunderbird mail files
and directories. While working on Linux I mount this partition through
an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab and have configured the Thunderbird
profile in Linux in such a manner that it points to the files and
directories on this mounted FAT32 filesystem for accessing mails for
different accounts. I also make sure that I am using the same version of
Thunderbird on Windows and Linux.

Things had been working perfectly fine except for some small hitches but
recently after I compacted the mail folders and deleted trash while
working on Linux, the whole partition got corrupted and a number of
mails were lost. Though I was able to repair the FAT32 mail partition
and recover most of the files, its created some doubts in my mind
regarding this whole arrangement and robustness of FAT32 filesystem
under Linux.

Has anyone tried something similar ? Its important for me to have the
mails accessible in Windows as well as Linux but not at the cost of data
corruption and loss. What all can be done to make this arrangement more
stable and robust and prevent any data corruption ?

I would really appreciate some suggestions or pointers in this regard.

Thanks,

Manish