Habit-training with reminder

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 28 17:19:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 17:54 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 March 2006 17:33, Craig White wrote:
>
> > $ cat test.txt
> > echo "Hi there"
> >
> > $ konsole --noclose -e /bin/sh test.txt &
> >
> Thanks
>
> > takes only a few seconds of experimentation
> >
> but only if you have some idea where to start.
----
I agree in that I gave you the place to start when I suggested konsole,
gnome-terminal xterm.

The issue then became, you tried one logical thing and then came right
back to the list with the next question when a simple perusal of the man
page should have given you the clue. Honestly, I hadn't done that before
myself, I just did what I think you should have done, read the man page
for konsole and create a simple test. It worked with my 3rd try.

That seems to be your methodology though (and a great many others too
and myself included) - that if you have considered how to accomplish a
task and can't accomplish, you ask the list...makes sense. When you get
an answer that doesn't completely give you all the details, you make a
simple effort and then come right back to the list for amplification
rather than doing any more research with the supplied information from
the first answer. I did this testing myself not because I knew, wanted
to know or even cared about solving your problem of making it work...but
rather trying to make this point about the number of questions that you
ask of the list and the limited amount of effort you make once you are
given a direction before coming back to the list again for more
information. Sometimes I think people give you a pass because you are a
woman but I remember John Summerfield sounded out loud about this very
thing about you a few weeks back and I think I have concluded that he's
right.

I know this behavior because I fight it myself - in reality, the only
true learning of a technology is in the research and testing. If you
have to have each level of the answer supplied to you, you will probably
learn nothing from the experience.
----
>  That command would work fine
> for a simple reminder, but it seems that it has to be used with care.  One of
> the files I tested it on was a .txt file that actually contained some
> recommended commands, and it tried to run the commands -
>
> /home/anne/Documents/pwcxload.txt: line 1: John: command not found
> /home/anne/Documents/pwcxload.txt: line 5: You: command not found
----
I trust you didn't supply this info because you have exhausted all
efforts to figure this out for yourself.

Craig