NO Sound on Dell. Intel sound experts available?

jaysen at jaysentech.net jaysen at jaysentech.net
Tue Mar 28 17:47:31 UTC 2006

Mark:

These are the instructions that I followed for my Dell Laptop and Fedora
Core 4.  It worked great for me.  I see you are running Core 5.  I would
try these instructions but I can not guarantee they will work on Core 5 as
I am not familiar with all the changes from 4 to 5 since it's so new.
Personally I would not use such a new core right away.  Too many bugs and
incompatibility issues.  I know they work with Core 4 so it's worth a
shot.

The Intel on-board soundcard is supported out of the box, but the external
speakers were shutoff in alsa-mixer. To turn them on:

1: Go to Applications-->Sound & Video-->Volume Control-->Edit--Preferences.
2: Scroll to the bottom, and click the checkbox for External Amplifier
3: Click on the Switches tab, and click the External Amplifier checkbox.

Jaysen