Sharing Thunderbird Mails Between Linux and Windows

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 18:10:16 UTC 2006

Manish Kathuria wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> Manish Kathuria wrote:
>>
>>> In order to make the same set of emails accessible on both Windows
>>> XP Home and Fedora Core on my dual boot laptop
>>
>> Do you have the option of leaving them on the server at all times and
>> accessing them using IMAP4? If so you can also point a webmail client
>> at the server when you have neither the home or laptop PC to hand ...
>>
> Not really. I have limited space per account and moreover the archived
> mails are now almost 1 GB. I just want to make this work smoothly.

I used to do this also, but have since just put them on my linux
partition because 1. I rarely use windows on this machine anymore, 2. I
hate FAT32, and 3. Thunderbird would have to rebuild summaries or
something every time I opened a folder for the first time (including on
startup). If I was to still share it, though, I would do what I'm now
doing on my desktop: make the FAT32 partition into an ext2 partition,
and get the driver for windows at http://www.fs-driver.org . Excellent,
easy to use, minimal problems, and I don't think you'd have any of the
issues of FAT32's suckiness. ;) You could also make it ext3, but either
way Windows would use it as an ext2 (w/o journaling for filesystem
stability).
-Dan