How can I allow screensaver unlocking by root?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 18:38:23 UTC 2006

Wouter.Lamee at nc3a.nato.int wrote:
> "If it is someone else ask him" - that's too easy to say. What if
> there are 20 or 30 (or more) other people who can log in on that
> system? I'd have to remember all their passwords. Basically, I want to
> be able to get on the machine with my root password without killing X
> servers, existing logins, running apps, etc.

You can always press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a virtual terminal and run
startx -- :1
which will start another user session (probably on Ctrl-Alt-F8 or F9,
depending on how you have things configured).

Stuff like sound and USB sticks won't necessarily work unless you change
permissions, but most things are fine.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | His Mind Raced...unfortunately, it did not race
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | particularly well, and failed to even place at the