Habit-training with reminder

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 18:40:40 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 18:19, Craig White wrote:

> The issue then became, you tried one logical thing and then came right
> back to the list with the next question when a simple perusal of the man
> page should have given you the clue. Honestly, I hadn't done that before
> myself, I just did what I think you should have done, read the man page
> for konsole and create a simple test. It worked with my 3rd try.
>
> That seems to be your methodology though (and a great many others too
> and myself included) - that if you have considered how to accomplish a
> task and can't accomplish, you ask the list...makes sense. When you get
> an answer that doesn't completely give you all the details, you make a
> simple effort and then come right back to the list for amplification
> rather than doing any more research with the supplied information from
> the first answer. I did this testing myself not because I knew, wanted
> to know or even cared about solving your problem of making it work...but
> rather trying to make this point about the number of questions that you
> ask of the list and the limited amount of effort you make once you are
> given a direction before coming back to the list again for more
> information. Sometimes I think people give you a pass because you are a
> woman but I remember John Summerfield sounded out loud about this very
> thing about you a few weeks back and I think I have concluded that he's
> right.

There I have to object.  I do put a lot of effort into the areas that seem to
me most important, but like you I have limited time.  Sometimes a pointer
from someone who has done something like that before can save you hours.

In fact I did not ask a second question.  I made a comment about its behaviour
in a specific situation, that's all.

I have never asked for any favours as a woman, and I do not now.  You might
bear in mind that you have no way of knowing the time I put into any project.

> I trust you didn't supply this info because you have exhausted all
> efforts to figure this out for yourself.

See above.  This is not a question, it's a comment.  The time I spend on
anything will depend on how important it is to me.  There are two kinds of
question I ask.  One is, like the one that started this thread, a question to
which I want/need a quick answer that will give me a starting point to be
followed up if/when I have the time.  The other is where I need much more
guidance because it is more complex, and probably the man pages need some
amplification.

I shall not stop asking questions - I have learned by listening all my life.
I hope that you will not stop answering.
Anne