FC5 - Add/Remove Software

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:04:07 UTC 2006

michael.mouer at sherwin.com wrote:

> When attempting to use "Applications" --> "Add/Remove Software" the
> message "Unable to retrieve software information" is displayed and the
> program exits.
>
> I loaded FC5 on 2 computers and the same message occurs on both.
>
> Any clues to why this is happening?
>
> Michael
>
> This message made from 100% recycled bits._
> __michael.mouer at sherwin.com_ <mailto:Michael.mouer at sherwin.com>
>
> *This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be
> privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately by return e-mail, then delete and destroy the
> original message and all copies. You should not copy, forward and/or
> disclose this message, in whole or in part, without permission of the
> sender.*

Is either connected to the internet? This program is pirut, which is a
frontend for yum, which by default just accesses internet yum
repositories, and not local media. You can add a file called
/etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo (there's a howto somewhere, that's been
referenced on this list before) as a temporary workaround, they're
planning to implement this feature in the future. The name "Add/Remove
Software" is misleading.
-Dan