Environment Vars?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 28 19:05:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:30 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 27 March 2006 13:46, Craig White wrote:
> >On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:08 +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:
> >> Hey mates,
> >>
> >> In an installation of one program (Apache Tomcat) it instructed me
> >> to: Set an environment variable named JAVA_HOME to the pathname of
> >> the directory into which you installed the JRE...
> >>
> >> So how does one set an environment variable? Assuming I got java
> >> installed at /usr/java/
> >
> >----
> >this ***may*** be useful to you
> >
> ># cat /etc/profile.d/java.sh
> >JREHOME="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/i386"
> >JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06"
> >JAVAWSHOME="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/javaws"
> >LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$JREHOME:$JAVAWSHOME"
> >PATH="$PATH:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin"
> >export JAVA_HOME
> >
> >Adjust as needed
> >
> >Craig
>
> Thanks Craig, although I expect this will enlarge the already lengthy
> list of stuff that needs massaging when a new java jre is installed.
----
it all depends upon what your needs are. I'm giving the larger picture
view here but I can appreciate that some are incapable of seeing the
larger picture.

you only need to implement that which you need - much as I've done there
by only exporting the JAVA_HOME and not the other environmental
variables.

Thus, the path is likely to be important and in his case, he needed the
environmental variable JAVA_HOME so it is exported

Craig