FC5 Problem(s)

I just upgraded from FC4 (which was working A-OK) to FC5 and suddenly
cannot access any USB storage device (e.g. : USB memory stick, USB HD
interface). When I enter as root I cannot even change permissions : all
I get is that permissions cannot be read.
Is there something I've done wrong? Is there something else I should
know about to get USB storage devices to work? I'm somewhat desperate as
I have several essential files on these devices.
CroombeFP