How to read result of bootup fsck

During system boot an fsck is performed. The result can be seen on the screen, but is the same result commited to a logfile anywhere?

I would like my running application determine the file-system health. Ideally this would be done by performing an fsck from the application. However, the root file-system cannot be checked in this way as it is mounted. Hence, as an alternative, I thought it might be possible to read the status of the file-system as determined during the boot sequence.

If anyone knows how to do this, or has any better ideas then please let me know.

Thanks,
Richard.

---
Richard Conway (richard rconway co uk)