Prism54 and FC5

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:23:04 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Kedar Patankar <kedarnp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any problems getting any prism54 based wifi card to work
> with FC5? I have a WG511 based on prism54 that I have been using since FC2.
> Pre-FC5, the device showed up as eth1 or eth0. On FC5, it showed up as
> "dev9772" in iwconfig output:
>

> [kedar at localhost ~]$ /sbin/iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      no wireless extensions.
>
> dev9772   IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"myessid"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency: 2.462 GHz  Access Point:
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>           Bit Rate:24 Mb/s   Sensitivity=20/200
>           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Link Quality=4/0  Signal level=-81 dBm  Noise level=-132 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> sit0      no wireless extensions.
>

> The device actually works. I had to configure it by hand with iwconfig and
> ifconfig. I am using it on an AMD64 laptop with WEP.
>
> Any idea why the device id is so weird "dev9772" ??
>
> Also when I try to use the "System->Administration->Network" tool to
> configure the prism54 card, it showed me two devices: the prism54 and the
> built in ethernet. What is odd is that the ethernet (VIA-rhine) showed up in
> the menu as wireless and the prism54 as "ethernet". It won't allow me to
> configure essid/WEP on the prism54. But would let me config these on the
> via-rhine.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards/Kedar.
>

> --
>
> Hi Kedar!

This is just a guess.  You upgraded to FC5?  Your old network device
"nicknames" tended to stick and somewhat confused the installer.

To unravel this would seem to me to involve looking at the "nicknames" in
the menus which pop up as the devices in the
"System->Administration->Network" tool are double clicked -- but -- may well
involve understanding the network device name scheme of some .conf files.

If I am correct that you did an upgrade you might consider doing a clean
install (after backing up all of your data of course!).

Just a thought.

Tod