fedora.us doesn't work

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 08:24:31 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 22:48, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Anne ,
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 March 2006 06:51, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
> > I have FC4 on an AMD-700 laptop running kde.  With 128MB ram it was just
> > about usable if you stuck to one task at a time.  Double the ram, and
> > it's fine now.  I wouldn't push it too much, but I wouldn't mind having
> > to use it for straightforward work.  Even with 128MB ram I could play a
> > DVD on it.
>
> Only one sidenote on your last comment about playing DVDs . DVD playing
> involves
> not only the CPU and the main memory of the system but also the GPU (
> for example
> nVidia MX 440 )  and the memory of the graphics card . So a good video
> adapter
> with say 128 MB RAM can pretty easily scramble the presence of  an old
> CPU with
> just about enough memory .  For example my system now reports 650600 KB RAM
> as used and all i have running is KDE , Mozilla , Firestarter and my
> internet connection
> on a Fedora Core 1 machine .

Hi, Kostas.  I don't have the old laptop to hand at the moment, but I know it
has an old ATi video card, running the standard, free, driver.  Nothing
special at all.  I was totally amazed at how usable the system feels, now
that it has the extra ram, but it served me well enough without it when I
needed a temporary mail server.

Anne