Piruit (Add/Remove Software) crashes several times - solution!

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 29 08:53:06 UTC 2006

Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Just be aware that your mileage may vary but Pirut
> (Add/Remove Software) isn't very reliable and expect
> it to crash on you.  I have used this program several
> times and several times it has crashed and wiped out
> hours of downloads in an instant.  Yes, ALL of the
> cache downloaded RPM files are gone in an instant!
>
> My last download was 4 hours and it all but went down
> the tubes and all for natch.
The defaults for caching the downloaded headers and packages has changed
from leaving on your disk to erasing them.

For other reasons (multiple FC5 machines to update), I definitely do not
want yum to be erasing packages as it finishes with them.

In /etc/yum.conf: change
keepcache=1
Then if something did go amiss you would *not* have to re-download all
the files :-)

I have definitely tried lots of different things: uninstalls, add
packages from extras/core/freshrpms, and removes as well, no problems so
far.

But a bugzilla would be good, and I'd be happy to file it on your behalf
but I'd really need your memory of what steps where made in the lead up
to the explosion; with out this info, it is unlikely to be repeatable
and hence get fixed (therefore we effectively are collectively shooting
our selves in the feet).

On a side note: is there plenty of space on the /var partition (eg. df)?

DaveT.