user for init scripts, fc5

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 29 10:01:10 UTC 2006

Toby Muhlhofer wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I was wondering: which user runs the init scripts at boot time in fc5?
>
> The reason I ask is because I have the following issue. In my
> /etc/fstab, I have a cifs filesystem, for which I use a credentials
> file. For security reasons I would like to set permissions/ownership on
> this file so only root can read it. In fc4, this filesystem would be
> mounted with no problems. In fc5, I get an error message
>
> can't open <path-to-file>
>
> The behavior is the same whether I put a line for the filesystem into
> /etc/fstab or I put a line
>
> mount -t cifs <...> -o credentials=<path-to-file>
>
> into rc.local.
>
> Either used to work in fc4, neither works in fc5. If I make the
> credentials file world-readable, it works, but I don't want to do that
> for security reasons.
>
> So my guess is, I would need to transfer ownership of the file to
> whichever user runs the init scripts and let only that user read the file.
>
> So, which user runs the init scripts?

initscripts run as root. Do your mount commands work if you type them in
on the command line as root?

FWIW, I mount CIFS filesystems at home just using an entry in /etc/fstab
and the standard initscripts handle the mounting:

//BADBY/SoftLib /home/paul/smb/softlib cifs
uid=paul,gid=paul,user,credentials=/home/paul/.smbcredentials 0 0

$ ls -l /home/paul/.smbcredentials
-rw------- 1 paul paul 32 Jun  5  2004 /home/paul/.smbcredentials

Paul.