easiest way to backup home made DVD

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 29 16:52:41 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 16:34, yonas abraham wrote:
>
>>is there an easy was to duplicate 4.7GB, unencrypted home made DVD's easly?
>>

> I haven't tried it, but you are right, it's a good idea.  I would have thought
> that disc copy in k3b or xcdroast would manage that without resorting to
> anything exotic.
>
> Anne

At present I would not trust the Extras release of k3b for video
DVD's.  I have had issues and have filed bugs.  I have tried the
testing version but that still has one issue that I have confirmed on
two machines.

If I was making multiple copies, I would create an iso image and just
burn that as many times as needed.  K3B does work for burning iso's.

In a previous thread on making copies this was sent.
-------------

dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvdcopy.iso
cdrecord dev=/dev/dvd dvdcopy.iso

No need for mkisofs. If you have 2 dvd drives, you can pipe the output
of dd directly to cdrecord.

This works both for data and for e.g. movies (unencrypted!).

Similarly for cds.

This would be the quickest I would believe.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762