Help needed - RAID recovery from Power-fail

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 19:39:57 UTC 2006

Nigel J. Terry wrote:
> I run FC4 (64bit).
> I have an array of two disks /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as a raid5 array
> /dev/md0 on top of which I run lvm and mount the whole lot as /home

RAID-5 requires at least three disks.  The only way that a RAID-5 array
can run with two disks is in "degraded" mode -- as if the third disk had
failed.  How did you create this thing?

> md0 is not clean
> Cannot start dirty degraded array
> failed to run raid set md0

That's relatively self-explanatory.  You're probably going to have to
dig up a third disk somewhere and add it to the array before it will
resync.

> fsck.ext3 No such file or directory while trying to open
> /dev/RaidGroup/RaidVolume

If the RAID device can't be started, then nothing built on it "exists".

> Naturally I don't have a full backup, so somehow I need to recover if at
> all possible.

Should be possible with a third disk.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net